Victor Pasmore 1908-1998
Victor Pasmore began exhibiting with the London Group in 1930 and became a member in 1934. In 1937 he opened a teaching studio in Fitzroy Street with Claude Rogers which later in the same year moved and together with William Coldstream and Graham Bell opened the Euston Road School of Art.
Known first for his very lyrical and poetic landscapes and figure pictures, his conversion to abstract art in 1948 was one of the most dramatic events in post-war British art and, to begin with, caused great dismay to many of his admirers. He went on to become a major figure in the international abstract movement. His work was represented in the Venice Biennale in 1961 and he became a Trustee of the Tate Gallery in 1963.
Between 1971 and 1979 Pasmore began exhibiting with the Marlborough Galleries in New York and London; a relationship that was to last for the remainder of his life. From the early 1980’s Pasmore’s titles became more complex, nature and the cosmos are often mentioned.