Bryan Kneale, began his training as a painter at the Douglas School of Art in 1947, followed by the Royal Academy between 1949-52. He was awarded the highly sought after, Rome Scholarship enabling him to travel extensively around Italy and develop his interest in the Futurists. Upon completion of his studies, he developed his painting technique using a palette knife. However, by 1960 Kneale had learnt to weld metal, changing his predominant interest from painting to sculpture.
Kneale held his fist sculpture show in 1960, consisting of mainly abstract works in iron and steel. Metal proved the perfect medium for his work as it enhanced his interest in linkages. The concept of joining a separate form and making it as one greatly appealed. He explored this through drawing and constructing skeletons and joints of animals in metal.
Despite his teaching posts, Kneale continued to exhibit extensively. He held numerous solo shows at Redfern Gallery throughout the fifties and sixties, progressing to exhibitions at the Whitechapel Gallery, Serpentine and Hayward Gallery. By 1968 he was made Head of Sculpture at Hornsey College of Art before being made Professor of Sculpture at the Royal Academy School. In 1985-90 Kneale was appointed Head of Sculpture and Professor of Drawing at the RA from 1990-95.
Latterly Kneale has begun to use sheet steel, creating vast abstracted forms, such as Triton III which was installed in the Annenberg Courtyard of the Royal Academy in 2009. His work is featured in numerous collections, notably Tate Britain, the Arts Council Collection and the Walker Gallery.