Bryan Wynter 1915-1975
Born in London, Bryan Wynter studied at Westminster School of Art, 1937-1938, and at the Slade School of Fine Art, 1938-40. He moved to Zennor, Cornwall in 1945 and soon became associated with the St Ives group of artists, including Peter Lanyon, Terry Frost, Patrick Heron, William Scott and Roger Hilton. His first one-man exhibition was held at the Redfern Gallery in 1947.
During his first ten years in Cornwall, Wynter painted subjects figuratively on a small scale in gouache and watercolour. By 1956, he had evolved a dynamic, more abstract style.
Wynter became a co-founder of the Crypt Group in 1946 and was a member of the London Group, 1955 to 1961, and the Penwith Society of Arts, 1949 to 1958. From 1951 to 1956, he taught drawing and painting at Bath Academy of Art, Corsham. He experimented for some time with kinetic art before returning to painting in the last decade of his life.
Retrospectives of Wynter’s work have been held at Falmouth School of Art (1975) and the Hayward Gallery (1976), with a selected retrospective of his paintings and kinetic constructions from 1948 to 1975 taking place at Tate St Ives in 2001. His work is on permanent display at Tate Britain and is held in numerous collections, including those of the British Council, Arts Council, Victoria and Albert Museum and National Galleries of Scotland.