John Milne 1931-1978
Born in Lancashire, in 1945 John Milne gained a scholarship to study electrical engineering at Salford Royal Technical College. After one year, he moved to the School of Art at Salford, specialising in sculpture. In 1952, after further studies in France and Greece, Milne returned to England and moved to St Ives where he worked as an unpaid apprentice to Barbara Hepworth and her assistant Denis Mitchell. In 1957, he purchased Trewyn House, a large property in St Ives which provided him with studio space and a view to the sea below.
Annual exhibitions from 1956 onwards at Penwith Society of Arts and Newlyn Art Gallery were followed by Crane Gallery, Manchester (1959); Marjorie Parr Gallery (1969 and 1972); Plymouth City Art Gallery (1971); Compass Gallery, Glasgow (1973); Stroms Gallery, Gothenburg (1974); Wills Lane Gallery (1975 and 1977) and Saltram House Plymouth (1977). Public collections include Tate Collection, Arts Council of Great Britain, Government Art Collection, Manchester City Art Gallery, Plymouth City Art Gallery and the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art.